Sunday, July 19, 2015

New things for my home

Moving into a new home can be a little stressful, but the fun part comes when you get up to figuring out what works with the new space and buying new things to fill in the gaps.  For example, our last two homes have had built-in bookcases, but there is nowhere obvious to currently build a bookcase in our new apartment so I bought the freestanding Stockholm bookcase below to hold at least some of our books (I have a very large collection of cooking and design books).  I've been on a bit of a shopping spree... apparently this is called 'nesting'.


Having a baby also means I have an entire new room to decorate in the form of a nursery. The only existing pieces of furniture I am using in this room are a white MALM chest of drawers from IKEA and possibly a black Kartell Componibili unit (previoulsy Harry's bedside table) to sit bedside my nursing chair.  Rather than buy a typical nursing chair we splurged on a Seymour chair and matching ottoman from King Living (it has a higher back than the one pictured below) in cognac leather with walnut swivel bases.  Harry has claimed this as his whisky chair when I no longer need it for nursing.  I'll soften (and protect it) while it's in the nursery with a sand coloured sheepskin from Ugg and dress it up with a graphic cushion from Orla Kiely.  Here are the bones of the room (excluding all the baby-specific pieces).


I've also ordered these gorgeous baby animal photography prints by Sharon Montrose for the nursery.


We still need more storage and display surfaces, there's currently some unused space in our foyer and our bedroom, but I'm still working on finding the right solutions.  The Norman Copenhagen pockets in my last post will be included in my next order from Scandinavian Design Center (I'm waiting until bub is born because I also want to buy these Design Letters to spell out his/her name).  A new dining table is on the agenda too.

No comments:

Post a Comment